11. Read the extract given below and answer the questions that follow. (1x3=3)
“They feed you in Hell but when you escape from it, you starve.”
(a) Who is the speaker?
(b) What is the mental state of the speaker in the stanza?
(c) What is the ‘Hell’ the speaker is referring to?
12. Answer the following questions in 30-40 words each.
(a) How did Harold come to know that his father was a boxer?
(b) Where was John A. Pescud going by train? Why?
(c) How is the rain like ‘earthly life’?
(d) What regrets does the poet have about her teeth?
13. Describe the circumstances that led to the convict’s arrest and imprisonment. How did the prison life convert him from a ‘man’ to a ‘wild beast’? Describe his transformation in the end. (80-100 words) (4)
You are Private Quelch. You have taken up the cookhouse duties. Write a dairy entry expressing your feelings about the sudden turn of events.
14. Wine consumed in excess had made Harris to hallucinate. Describe the ‘Swan incident’ as narrated by Harris. Did his friends believe his story? (5)
15. What lies were told about the trout in the glass-case? How were the liars exposed in the end? (5)