Class 10th (SA-II), Session:2012-13 Chemistry Assignment- IV
Chapter :(carbon and its compounds)
1. An organic compound X with a molecular formula C2H6O undergoes oxidation with in presence of alkaline KMnO4 to form a compound Y. X on heating in presence of Conc. H2SO4 at 443K gives Z. Which on reaction with H2Oin presence of H2SO4 gives back `X` `Z` reacts with Br2 (aq) and decolorizes it. Identify X, Y, & Z and write the reactions involved.
2. An organic compound ‘A’ is widely used as a preservative in pickles and has a molecular formula C2H2O2. This compound reacts with ethanol to form a sweet smelling compound ‘B’.
(i) Identify the compound ‘A’
(ii) Write the chemical equation for its reaction with ethanol to form compound ‘B’.
(iii) How can we get compound ‘A’ back from ‘B’?
(iv) Name the process and write corresponding chemical equation.
(v) Which gas is produced when compound ‘A’ reacts with washing soda? Write the chemical equation.
3. Hydrocarbon `X` and `Y` having molecular formulae C3H8 and C3H6 respectively. Both are burnt in different spatula on the Bunsen flame. Indicate the color of the flame produced by `X` and `Y`. Identify `X` and `Y`. Write the structural formulae.
4. A compound `X` has molecular formula C4H10. It undergoes substitution reaction readily than addition reaction. It burns with blue flame and is present in LPG. Identify `X` and give the balanced equation for its combustion and substitution reaction with Cl2 in presence of sunlight.
5. `A` compound works well with hard water. It is used for making shampoos & products for cleaning clothes. A is not 100% biodegradable and causes water pollution. `B` does not work well with hard water. It is 100% biodegradable and does not create water pollution. Identify A & B.
6. An organic compound P with molecular formula C2H6Ois an active ingredient of all alcoholic drinks. It is also used in medicines such as tincture iodine, cough syrups. Identify `P`. Drop a small piece of sodium into the test tube containing `P`.A new compound `Q` is formed with the evaluation of colorless and odorless gas Name the gas evolved and compound `Q` write the chemical reaction.
7. A cyclic compound `X` has molecular formula C6H6. It is unsaturated and burns with sooty flame. Identify `X` and write its structural formula. Will it decolorize bromine water or not and why?
8. An organic compounds `A` is a constituent of antifreeze and has the molecular formula C2H6O upon reaction with alkaline KMnO4, the compound `A` is oxidized to another `B` with formula C2H6O2. Identify the compound A` and `B`. Write the chemical equation for the reaction which leads to the formulation of `B`
9. Two compounds `X` and `Y` have the same formula C2H4O2. One of them reacts with sodium metal to liberate H2 and CO2 with NaHCO3. Second one does not reacts with Na metal and NaHCO3 but undergo hydrolysis with NaOH to form salt of carboxylic acid and compound `Z` which is called wood spirit. Identify `X`, `Y`, and `Z` and write chemical equation for the reaction involved.
10. A compound `X` with molecular formula C2H4 burns with a sooty flame. It decolourise bromine water. Identify `X`. Will it dissolve in water or not? Will it conduct electricity in aq. Solution? Will it have high melting point or low melting point?
11. Write the formula for ‘ethanoic acid’ and name the functional group present in it.
12. Allotropy is a property shown by which class: - Substances, elements, compounds, mixture.
13. What is the use of oxyacetylene flame?
14. Name the gas which is formed by decomposition of plants and animal matter in marshy areas?
15. Mention the name of the byproduct of soap industry.
16. Write the molecular formula and structures of benzene.
17. Match the following:-
1. Ethane - Used in anti freeze solution.
2. Ethanol - fruity smell.
3. Ester - fossil fuel.
18. Write two uses of fullerenes.
19. Complete and balance following equation:-
a) CH2=CH2 + H2 heat, Ni
20. Two alkanes A and B have 4 and 6 carbon atoms respectively in their molecule. In which physical state will they occur at room temp?
21. Give a test that can be used to differentiate chemically between butter and cooking oil.
22. How will you distinguish between ethanol and ethanoic acid by a suitable chemical test? Write chemical reactions involved.
23. Complete the following reactions:-
1) CH3COOH + NaHCO3 conc.H2SO4
2) HCOOH + CH3OH
3) CH3COOC2H5 + H2O
24. Name the compound CH3COOC2H5.Name the acid and alcohol from which it is made, write equation.
Blog Posts Categories
Join Us For Update
I am a school teacher and serving CBSE students community since 1995.