Choose the correct option
2. The ________is an edible part of potato plant
(a) leaf (b) root (c) sternÖ (d) fruit
3 We can sprout seeds in __________
(a) rocks (b) waterÖ (c) oil (d) none of these
4. The sprouted seeds contain more
(a) carbohydrates (b) fats (c) vitamins Ö (d) water
5. The edible part of the apple plant is ___
(a) leaf (b) root (c)Stem (d) fruit Ö
6. we eat root of _______
(a) mustard (b) rajma (c) chili (d) radishÖ
7. The colour of the structures grown out from the sprouted seeds is
(a) black (b) whiteÖ (c) red (d) green
Fill in the blanks:
1. We get sugar from _Sugarcane________
2. We get milk from __Cow ____ and ___buffalo______.
3. Honeybees store honey in their ___ honey stomach _________.
4. _Rice __ and ___water___are two ingredients of boiled rice.
5. Animals that eat both plant products and flesh of other animals are called
6. Bacteria and fungi are called ____ decompose ____.
7. We should not ___waste_ food in any way.
8. Honeybees are kept in __ beehive ___ for rearing.
Very Short Answer Questions:
1. What are the animals that eat only plants and plant products called?
2. Name four food items we get from animals.
Ans: Egg, Meat, milk, Ghee
3. Name two edible stems.
Ans: Potato , sugarcane
4. What are the materials needed to prepare food items called?
5. What is the rearing of honeybees on a large scale called?
6. Name two plants whose flowers are eaten as vegetable.
Ans: Cauliflower, Braccoli
Short Answer Questions:
1. Why do we need food?
Ans: We need food
(i) to get energy
(ii) grow and replace worn out cell
(iii) protect body from diseases
2. What are edible parts? Give name of one.
Ans: Part of plants that are eaten by humans is called edible parts. Wheat, pea and rice
are plant whose edible part is seed
3. Honeybees work hard to collect nectar from flowers.
(a) Where is this nectar stored? (b) What value do you learn from honeybees?
Ans (a) bee hive (bee stomach) (b) Hard work is key of success.
4. How can food problem be solved? Give two ways.
Ans: Food problems be solved by (i) Avoid wastage of food (ii) Using modern technology
and best practices in agriculture
5. How are scavengers and decomposers useful to us ?
Ans: scavengers and decomposers feed on dead plants and animal. In this way they
decompose waste and keep our environment clean and enrich nutrients in soil.
6. What Is food chain? Give one example.
Ans: One who eats what in the environment is called food chain. Eg. Grass -> Zebra-
F. Long Answer questions:
1. How will you sprout seeds?
Ans: At first wash the seeds in water, drain the water. Keep seeds in bowl and cover it
with a wet cloth and leave them for another day. The next day, you will see the seeds have sprouted.
2. Distinguish between (a) herbivores and carnivores (b) scavengers and decomposers
Ans: (a) Animals which eat only plants or plant products are called herbivores eg cow,
goat. Animals which eat flesh of other animals are called carnivores eg lion, Tiger.
(b) An animal that feeds on dead organisms or by hunting live prey is called scavengers.
Eg. Vultures, hyenas, and wolves . They help break down or reduce organic material into
smaller pieces. These smaller pieces are then eaten by other organism called
decomposers eg, earthworm, fungi, bacteria.
HOTS (Higher Order Thinking Skills) questions:
1.Your mother makes food In the kitchen. Is she a 'producer'? Why/Why not?
Ans: No. My mother is not a producer as she uses ingredients obtain from plants
Solve the following crossword puzzle:
1. animals that eat both plants and flesh of other animals
2. Rearing of honeybees on a large scale is called
3. the materials needed to prepare food items
4. a tasty and nutritious food item we get from honeybees
5. the parts of the plant which can be eaten are called parts
Ans: edible part