The difference between the selling price and the cost price determines the profit or loss the merchant makes. If S.P. > C.P., the merchant makes a profit of (S.P. – C.P.). If S.P. < C.P., the merchant makes a loss of (C.P. – S.P.).
However, it is not enough to merely know the actual value of profit/loss – it is important to consider the size of profit/loss in proportion to the cost of the goods. For this reason, profit/loss is often determined as a percentage of the cost price.
1. By selling an article for Rs.144,A man loses 1/7 of his outlay. If it is sold for Rs189what is the gain or loss percent
2. A tricycle is sold at a gain of 15% .Had it been sold for Rs 27 more, the profit would have been 20% find the cost price.
3. If manufacture gains 10%, the wholesale dealer 15%, and the retailer 25%. Than what is the production cost of a washing machine whose retail price Rs 3795.
4. Mr. Mehta purchased a video for Rs 18000 and a television for Rs 10500. On the video he lost 5% and on the television he gained 17%. Find his total gain or loss percent?
5. Three chairs are purchase for Rs 450 each. One of them is sold at a loss of 10% At what price should the other two be sold as to gain 20% on the whole transaction.
6. Prem buys equal quantities of two kinds of lemons at the rate of 6 for a rupee and 9 for a rupee. He mixes them together and sells the whole lot at 8 fore rupee. Find his gain or loss percent?
7. By selling a rickshaw for Rs2640, Ghanshyam loses 12%. For how much should he sell it to gain 12%?
8. A electrician sells a room heater for Rs. 322 getting 1/6th of it cost price. Find his gain percent.
9 A dealer bought 100 Cricket bats For Rs 40 each. He sells 20 of them at a gain of 5%. At what gain per cent must he sell the remainder So as to gain 20% on the whole?
10 A man sold two radios at Rs 924 each. On one he gain 20% and the other he loss 20%. How much does he gain or lose in the whole transaction. Also find the gain or loss percent in the whole transaction.
11. The selling price of 12 pen is equal to the cost price of 15 pens. Find gain or loss %?
12. By selling 36 oranges a vendor losses equal to the selling price of 4 oranges .find his loss%
13. A shopkeeper brought toffee 6 for a rupee. Hoe many for a rupee must he sell to gain 20% ?
15. By selling 33 m of cloth, a draper loses an amount equal to the selling price of 3m of cloth. Find his gain or loss per cent?
WORKSHEET VII Simple Linear Equation
(i) 7y + 5 = 19 ( y = 2 )
(ii) (3k + 9)/8 = 5 ( k = 7 )
(iii) a + 5 = 11 ( a = 6 )
(iv) 12a + 4 = 40 ( a = 3 )
(v) 2x/4 = 11 ( x = 22 )
(vi) 3m/7 = 9 ( m = 21 )
(vii) 2a – 4 = 6 ( a = 5 )
(viii) 4 (x + 3 ) = 20 ( x = 2 )
(ix) 8x - 5 = 2 + 19 ( x = 4 )
(x) 2m/7 + 6 = 10 ( m = 14 )
(xi) 3 ( 2x - 1 ) + 5 = 14 ( x = 2 )
(xii) 2z – ( 7 – 5z ) – 21 = 0 ( z = 4 )
(xiii) 8x/3 + 4 = 12 ( x = 3 )
(xiv) 3 ( y – 1 ) = 2 ( 2y – 6 ) ( y = 11 )
(xv) 5 – 6 ( - 2 ) + 13 = 6 ( x = -4 )
II. Set up equations and solve.
(i) Add 7 to 3times a number, you get 34. Find the number. ( x = 9 )
(ii) Subtract 23 from thrice a number the result is 7.find the number. ( x = 10 )
(iii) Anmol’s mother is 4 years more than 3times Anmol’s age. Find Anmol’s age if mother is 40 years old.
(iv) Tony scored twice as many runs as Kohli. Together they scored 6 short of triple century. How many runs did each score? ( 196, 98 ).
(v) The three angles of a triangle are in the ratio 2:3:5. Find the measure of each angle. Classify the triangle ( 36, 54, 90 ) . (right angled triangle).