1. Fine iron filings filled in a sprinkler (same kind of sprinkler used for salt or pepper).
2. A foolscap white sheet of paper.
3. Two bar magnets.
4. Two thick and wide books of same thickness.
1. Arrange the thick books in such a way that you get a flat smooth surface, wide enough for the fulls cape white sheet of paper.
4. Sprinkle iron filings all over the paper evenly.
5. Tap the paper gently. You will observe that iron filings act like thousands of tiny magnetic compasses and align themselves along the magnetic lines of force as shown in figure Fig. 01. These lines come out of the magnet from the north pole and end up at south pole.
7. Now place two bar magnets in the gap between the books, such that north poles of both magnets face each other as shown in figure :03). Repeat the activity again and observe the magnetic field.