(i) The rational number that does not have a reciprocal.
(ii) The rational numbers that are equal to their reciprocals.
(iii) The rational number that is equal to its negative.
Answer: (i) 0 (ii) 1 and (–1) (iii) 0
Q. 2. Fill in the blanks.
(i) Zero has ________ reciprocal.
(ii) The numbers ________ and ________ are their own reciprocals
(iii) The reciprocal of – 5 is ________.
(iv) Reciprocal of 1/x , where x ≠ 0 is ________.
(v) The product of two rational numbers is always a _______.
(vi) The reciprocal of a positive rational number is ________.
Answer: 11. (i) No (ii) 1, –1 (iii) -1/5 (iv) x (v) Rational number (vi) positive
Q.3. Write any 3 rational numbers between –2 and 0.
Q.4. Find any ten rational numbers between -5/6 and 5/8
Q.5. Represent these numbers on the number line. (i) 7/4 (ii) -5/6(iii) 36/7(iv) 21/3
Q.6. Multiple Choice Questions
1. A rational number p/q is said to be in the simplest form if the HCF of p and q is
(a) 2 (b) 1 (c) 0 (d) 3 [A]
2. Between any two distinct rational numbers there exist
(a) Finite rational numbers (b) Infinite rational numbers (c) No rational number (d) none of the above [B]
3. A rational number a/b is greater than c/d if
(a) ad > bc (b) ad < bc (c) ad = bc (d) ad ≠ bc [A]
4. Is zero a rational number
(a) Yes (b) No (c) Can’t say [A]
5. Rational numbers are not closed under
(a) Addition (b) Multiplication (c) Division (d) Subtraction [C]
7. What number should be added to −78to get 49?
8. The sum of two rational numbers is −12. If one of the numbers is 56, find the other.
9. What number should be subtracted from −23 to get −12?
10. Divide the sum of 135and−127by the product of −317and1−2.
11. The product of two rational numbers is −169. If one of the numbers is −43, find the other.
12. A drum full of rice weights 4016kg. If the empty drum weights 1334kg, find the weight of rice in the drum.
13. A car is moving at an average speed of 4025km/h. How much distance will it cover in 712h?
14. Raju earns Rs16000/m. He spends 14of his income on food; 310of the remainder on house rent and 521of the remainder on education of children. How much money is still left with him?
15. After reading 79of a book, 40pages are left. How many pages are there in the book?
16. If you subtract 1/2 from a number and multiply the result by 1/2, you get 1/8. What is the number?
17. Three consecutive integers are such that when they are taken in increasing order and multiplied by 2, 3, and 4 respectively, they add up to 74. Find these numbers.
Further Study Visit links given below:
Class VIII Mathematics
VIII Algebra VIII Commercial Maths VIII Geometry & Mensuration
CBSE Class VIII Science
Physics Chemistry Biology 8th Sample paper 8th S. Science